Fiia A. Jokela, DVM, Dips. ABVP (Canine/Feline Practice)
ASB Veterinary Behavior Consultant
Dr. Jokela is honored to be the Veterinary Behavior Consultant for the A Sound Beginning Program.
Her passion lies with helping pets stay in forever homes by helping resolve behavior problems to prevent relinquishment, helping shelter and rescue pets to become more adoptable, and helping build relationships and bonds with recently adopted pets and their families. Working with the A Sound Beginning Program is the perfect fit for her services. Dr. Jokela believes veterinary care needs to encompass both physical and behavioral health. Veterinary and training professionals who work together, will empower each other, to better serve the needs of pets and their people!
Dr. Jokela is a 1990 graduate of Purdue University’s School of Veterinary Medicine. She has practiced general veterinary medicine and surgery in a variety of clinical settings in the Chicago and northwest Indiana areas. In 1998, she achieved board certification in Canine and Feline Practice by the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (ABVP). In 2001, Dr. Jokela founded Deer Run Animal Hospital in Schererville, IN, and developed it into a behavior centered general veterinary practice.
In 2016, Dr. Jokela left general practice to focus exclusively on veterinary behavior medicine and founded New Horizons Veterinary Behavior Solutions, providing consultations in Schererville, IN, and in-home consultations on a limited basis across the Chicagoland area.
In 2017 Dr. Jokela was accepted into the residency program with the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (ACVB). In July 2017, Dr. John Ciribassi, DACVB invited her to join Chicagoland Veterinary Behavior Consultants (CVBC) seeing patients in Buffalo Grove, Lincoln Park, and Mokena, IL
- Member of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Member of Chicago Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
- Member and President Elect of the American Society of Veterinary Behavior (AVSAB)
- Graduate of the North American Veterinary Community (NAVC) Institute of Behavioral Medicine led by Dr. Karen Overall, PhD, DACVB
- Graduate of the Centre for Veterinary Education Online Veterinary Behavioral Medicine Course from the University of Sydney, Australia, led by Dr. Kersti Seksel, DACVB
- Licensed Veterinary Presenter for Family Paws Parent Education (FPPE)
- Member Pet Professional Guild (PPG)