Interview with veterinarian Dr. Kelly Diehl of the Morris Animal Foundation on cancer in pets and wildlife. Here is a link to the four-page PDF handout that we discussing during this wide-ranging interview.
Morris Animal Foundation Launches Unite to Fight Animal Cancer Campaign March 26
Funds raised support cancer research for animals around the world
DENVER/March 21, 2018 – Morris Animal Foundation, the leader in advancing animal health, will launch its fifth annual Unite to Fight Animal Cancer campaign on Monday, March 26. The two-month campaign, which ends May 31, raises funds for research that will lead to new understandings about how to prevent, diagnose earlier and treat animal cancers. Gifts can be made and more information can be found at Unite to Fight Animal Cancer.
Cancer is a disease that impacts animals everywhere. In dogs and cats, cancer accounts for nearly half of all disease-related deaths each year, with approximately 11 million new diagnoses made annually. Since 1948, Morris Animal Foundation has funded more than 300 cancer studies, investing nearly $40 million, and continues to make strides against the disease, thanks to generous donor support.
“We are asking people to not only join us in our fight, but imagine a world where all cancers are treatable and more cures possible,” said Tiffany Grunert, Acting President/CEO of Morris Animal Foundation. “This is a vicious disease that is seen in the pets we love and the wild animals we admire and with the help of our supporters we can change that.”
With almost 70 years of cancer research to date, Morris Animal Foundation funding has led to numerous breakthroughs and advancements in cancer care, including:
- Improved cancer surgery imaging for complete surgical removal of tumors in cats and dogs, improving both treatment decisions and decreasing incidence of tumor recurrence
- Testing of a canine melanoma vaccine, now confirmed safe and effective in horses with melanoma, providing an effective treatment for a devastating cancer in horses
- Clinical trials for promising treatments for osteosarcoma, a devastating cancer in dogs, that give hope for improving outcomes for patients
- Advances in the understanding of viral cancers in domestic cats and wildlife that have helped in the development of prevention protocols and treatments, including vaccine development for feline leukemia virus
The Blue Buffalo Foundation is once again partnering with Morris Animal Foundation in the fight against cancer, with a dollar-for-dollar gift match, up to $75,000, until the end of the campaign on May 31.
In addition to raising funds for cancer research, Morris Animal Foundation will provide pet owners and animal lovers free downloadable cancer prevention checklists. The Foundation also will share stories of donors who lost their pets to the disease and learn why those owners support the Foundation and the Unite to Fight Animal Cancer campaign.
About Morris Animal Foundation
Morris Animal Foundation’s mission is to bridge science and resources to advance the health of animals. Founded by a veterinarian in 1948, we fund and conduct critical health studies for the benefit of all animals. Learn more at morrisanimalfoundation.org
- Where to purchase the CBD oil that I use and recommend - July 13, 2020
- Update on Site and Show Mess-Ups - July 7, 2020
- Show Transcript: Supertoxic Rat Poison Kills Wildlife - July 1, 2020
Get KSCO Pet Radio
in your inbox
Subscribe to our weekly mailing list
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.