Holiday Horror: How to Prevent Pet Suffocation

Bonnie Harlan

This is a 12-minute podcast taken from the 7/15/2018 program. Here is some information from the website:

Chip bags and other food packaging pose serious risks to our dogs and cats. Too many animals, especially dogs, have died from suffocating in chip bags, cereal boxes, snack bags, treat bag liners, and cat/dog food bags.

Many of these bags are made from a strong mylar-like material (like a balloon) which helps keep snacks fresher. When a curious dog puts his head into the bag looking for leftover crumbs, the bag creates a vacuum-like seal around the dog’s neck. 

As he tries to breathe, the bag tightens around his neck, cutting off the oxygen.  When a dog cannot remove the bag from his head, he will usually start to panic, desperately running around until he collapses and dies from asphyxiation, often losing his bowels, as well. This happens within minutes.

What You Can Do to Stop Pet Suffocation

We can reduce the number of accidental deaths by educating the public about the dangers of these types of bags.  Most people do not know that these mylar bags are a hazard to their animals, and they often do not find out until it happens to their beloved companion.

Many an owner has arrived home or walked into another room of the house and found their dog lying motionless with a chip bag or other type of bag on his head.  The more people are aware of this risk, the more owners can do to ensure their pet is safe. Awareness is our best defense against pet suffocation!

Please read on the “Information” page what you can do to prevent this from happening to your beloved companion.

pet suffocation
Prevent Pet Suffocation – Know the risks of pet suffocation.
HELP PREVENT PET SUFFOCATION! Chip bags and other food packaging pose serious suffocation risks to our pets. Too many pets, especially dogs, have …

Prevent Pet Suffocation – Home | Facebook
Prevent Pet Suffocation. 22K likes. A registered 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to preventing pet suffocation by educating the public on the suffocation…

Petition · Frito Lay: Add pet suffocation warning labels to your chip …
Blue, my beautiful rescue dog, suffocated in a Frito Lay Cheetos chip bag. After dragging an empty Cheetos bag out of the trash and putting his head in to lick up  …

Snack bags pose suffocation risk to pets | American Veterinary …
Apr 25, 2018 The dog or cat puts its head inside a bag of chips or another snack, and the bag tightens when the pet inhales. The pet can suffocate to death in …

pet suffocation
Follow me

Get KSCO Pet Radio
in your inbox

Subscribe to our weekly mailing list

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Just $1-a-month makes a difference!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get KSCO Pet Radio
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get guest lineups every Friday.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.