Here is a press release, just received from the Animal Legal Defense Fund. I have invited them for next week’s program but will have a rescue on this week.
Help fight the inhumane treatment of these very sweet dogs. You could even adopt one.
Did you know a dog dies every three days in Florida because of greyhound racing? And yet not many people in the animal protection movement are talking about it. It’s time to change that.
94% of dogs who die at the greyhound race tracks are three years old or younger.
- Racing greyhounds are routinely drugged, and female dogs are regularly injected with anabolic steroids in order to keep them racing. More than 400 racing greyhounds tested positive for cocaine, novocaine, oxycodone, and lidocaine in the last ten years.
- The life of a racing greyhound is marked by loneliness and boredom. Approximately 8,000 greyhounds are cruelly confined in a given year in the State of Florida alone, spending 20 to 23 hours a day confined to double-stacked warehouse-style metal cages that are barely large enough for them to stand up or turn around. Instead of blankets or bedding, dogs are only provided shredded paper or discarded carpet pieces.
- Dogs rescued from the racing tracks often have emotional and physical trauma for the rest of their lives.
The good news is that in November animal lovers in Florida have a chance to ban the outdated practice of greyhound racing in their state by voting “yes” on Amendment 13. If Amendment 13 passes, greyhound racing will be phased out in Florida in the next two years. As 11 of the 17 greyhound racing tracks left in the United States are located in Florida, passage of Amendment 13 will create momentum for the other five states with active race tracks – Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Texas and West Virginia – to pass their own bans.
That is why we have to start talking about greyhound racing. You can find more information here.
- Where to purchase the CBD oil that I use and recommend - July 13, 2020
- Update on Site and Show Mess-Ups - July 7, 2020
- Show Transcript: Supertoxic Rat Poison Kills Wildlife - July 1, 2020
Get KSCO Pet Radio
in your inbox
Subscribe to our weekly mailing list
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.