Resources for Californians
All the animal-related information you need at your fingertips ByThe Humane Society of the United States
Do you want to help animals in California? These online resources will make that easier.
Volunteering with The HSUS in California
- Volunteer at the Fund for Animals Wildlife Center in Ramona.
- Volunteer with Pets for Life Los Angeles.
- Find other volunteer opportunities in California.
Reporting stray or injured animals and animal cruelty
- Call your your local animal care and control agency if you have found a stray or injured animal.
- Contact your local law enforcement agency to report a case of animal cruelty.
- Lost or found an animal? Interested in adopting an animal?
Contact your local animal shelter or search your local humane society/spca.
- Emergency financial assistance with veterinary bills
- File a complaint about a veterinary practice or find answers to other frequently asked questions relating to veterinarian-client issues.
- California Animal Control Directors Association
- California State Humane Association
- California animal welfare groups listed by Petfinder
- Spay/neuter resources in California
- Look up an affordable spay/neuter clinic by zip code.
- Buy the California Pet Lover’s license plate to help fund low-cost spay/neuter programs in California.
- Contribute to California’s Municipal Spay/Neuter Fund when you pay your income taxes.
- Find a wildlife rehabilitator in California.
- The Department of Fish and Game’s CalTip hotline: 888-DFG-CALTIP (888-334-2258) takes information about poaching or polluting incidents or any fish and wildlife violation.
- California Department of Fish and Game hunting regulations
- California Council for Wildlife Rehabilitation
Learning about California laws and legislators
- Look up your senator or assembly member
- Bills pending in California
- California animal laws
- California’s official state animals
Researching animals and public health and safety
- Animal Disaster Preparedness: Tips from the California Department of Food & Agriculture
- Information about the CDFA’s Animal Health & Food Safety Services
- The CDFA’s Veterinary Public Health Section
- Rabies fact sheet from the California Department of Public Health Resources